Top 10 Ways to Transition through COVID-19
by Melody Taylor-Fliege
COVID19 – this! COVID19 – that! It seems never to end! Yet every day the sun rises and sets, and we have another opportunity to work with parts of ourselves that this virus does not let us escape—some good, some not so good! While dealing with your version of this global COVID-19 pandemic, consider the following.
- Let go of how things were “supposed to be” and accept “how things are.” Find appreciation for what is.
- Find support. Since your transition through COVID-19 affects your family as well, it may be better to seek the outside help of friends, coaches, or other professionals.
- Reassure (or avoid) those who are only negative or threatened by the fast-paced technological changes the COVID-19 is requiring.
- Take an honest look at yourself. What’s coming up most often for you? What are your strengths, weaknesses, abilities? How do they influence—positively or negatively—your transition through this crisis?
- Step up your self-care. All significant changes are physically and emotionally taxing. You need self-care now more than ever, e.g., rest, exercise, healthy eating, maintenance relationships.
- Engage your curiosity. What went wrong or right so far? What can you do better? What is working really well? Curious question everything?
- Work on your thoughts. Own your fears and reinforce your sense of hope and happiness. Be creative with your thoughts, always looking for new ways of thinking about the same old stuff.
- Focus on what you want and less on what you don’t want. Keep your eye on the positive.
- Use COVID-19 to reset bad habits. Like the panic, toilet-paper-shopping forces many to use fewer sheets to wipe and even consciously plan for more sustainable shopping, use this opportunity to look at and reset all your consumption, food, family time, study, work, and others to more fulfilling and sustainable habits.
- Keep things in perspective. Or try on new perspectives. Don’t get stuck. Remember, the only constant in this COVID-19 change is that everything is continuously changing.